Overview[edit | edit source]
Harvesting refers to the activity of attacking blocks in order to obtain basic resources. These resources are extracted from blocks as they are damaged and/or destroyed by your Harvesting efforts.
Subtypes of Harvesting[edit | edit source]
While Harvesting is a general term for the extraction of resources from blocks, there are several subtypes to which reference is often made:
- Mining - The harvesting of resources from earth-based and metal-based blocks.
- Butchering - The harvesting of resources from the corpses of both natural and undead Animals.
- Salvaging - The harvesting of resources from mechanical-based or electrical-based blocks using the Wrench.
Harvesting Tools[edit | edit source]
While Harvesting can be done using your Fists, the process can be sped up greatly by equipping an Appropriate Tool for the material of which the block you are attacking is made. Using an Appropriate Tool will prevent the reduction in Block Damage that occurs when using a Tool or Weapon not well suited for the job.
Regardless of how fast a block is destroyed or which weapon/tool you use to destroy it, the amount of resources ultimately extracted from the block is the same, with 3 general exceptions:
- Butchering is a special type of Harvesting which provide bonus resources only obtainable by using a Butcher Tool.
- Salvaging is a special type of Harvesting which provide bonus resources only obtainable by using a Disassemble Tool.
- The Iron Sledgehammer, while quite effective at speedily destroying blocks, incurs a 75% loss of all resources harvested.
Harvesting Efficiently[edit | edit source]
- Your Mother Lode (Perk) will increase the amount of resources you harvest from ore blocks, stone blocks, terrain blocks, or trees.
- Your Miner 69er (Perk) increases your Block Damage and decreases your stamina degradation when hitting blocks while using Mining Tools.
- There are a variety of Mods you can install on your harvesting tool in order to increase its Block Damage.