Description[edit | edit source]
Farming is the process of planting, growing, and harvesting various crops from seeds or saplings. There are several plants and trees that can be planted by the player and, in time, harvested. This concept allows the player to set up a farm and sustain the production of certain foods, items, and resources.
Farming Basics[edit | edit source]
Fertility[edit | edit source]
Farming requires seeds and a Gardening Hoe. For most soil types, before seeds can be planted, the ground must be tilled by right-clicking with the hoe.
Lighting[edit | edit source]
Plants also require natural light so that they can grow. This means that plants need to be outside or have some method of receiving natural light. A chimney will work.
Various types of blocks will let light through. This is defined by either the shape of the block, or the material it is made from, or a specific value that is specified. The light levels have a range of 0 to 15, 0 being completely dark and 15 having access to full sunlight. A block with a light opacity of 1 will reduce the amount of light that the blocks below it receive by 1 (assuming it is the only source of light, as in a tunnel to underground). So Bulletproof Glass will reduce the light below it from 15 to 13, still plenty of light to grow plants.
The amount of light that a block receives will also reduce by 1 with the distance sideways from a light source. A block that is over six meters from the light source will not receive any light.
Locating Seeds.[edit | edit source]
Seeds, or the crops themselves, are found in lootable containers like the Trash Pile, Trash Can, Refrigerator, or Cabinets. If you find a seed you can plant it right away on tilled soil. If you find a crop, you will have to craft it into a seed by clicking it and going to "recipes" where you can craft the seeds for the given plant. To be able to craft seeds the Living Off The Land perk is required. Once planted, after harvest the plant will remain planted in the soil and will regrow without requiring replanting.
Trees[edit | edit source]
Live trees drop seeds at the end of the harvesting cycle. Tree seeds can then be planted to grow new trees, even in untilled soil. However, tree seeds must be planted at least three blocks away from each other.
Seeds[edit | edit source]
Plants[edit | edit source]
These numbers are for soil which was prepared with a Hoe. The harvested products depends on the level of the Living Off The Land perk varying between 1-5 items.
|Produces||Seeds produced||Growth time
|Amount of harvestable product based on Living Off The Land (Perk)|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|Aloe Plant x4||yes||Aloe Seed||1||120||1||2||3||4||5|
|Blueberry Bush x4||yes||Blueberry Seeds||1||120||1||2||3||4||5|
|Yucca Plant x4||yes||Yucca Seed||1||120||1||2||3||4||5|
|Coffee x4||yes||Coffee Beans||1||120||1||2||3||4||5|
|Corn Plant x4||yes||Corn Seed||1||180||1||2||3||4||5|
|Cotton Plant x4||yes||Cotton Seed||1||120||1||2||3||4||5|
|Goldenrod Flower x4||yes||Goldenrod Seed||1||120||1||2||3||4||5|
|Hops Flower x4||yes||Hop Seed||1||120||1||2||3||4||5|
|Chrysanthemum x4||yes||Chrysanthemum Seed||1||120||1||2||3||4||5|
|Potato Plant x4||yes||Potato Seeds||1||120||1||2||3||4||5|
|Mushroom x4||yes||Mushroom Spores||1||180||1||2||3||4||5|
Trees[edit | edit source]
|Plant||Seeds crafting needed?||Amount of Seeds
produced by felling tree
|Amount of harvest-able product||Preparation |
(No tilling required)
|Blue Spruce Tree||no, collected by completely cutting down a tree (Blue Spruce Seeds)||2||120||Approx. 1K wood per tree||any soil based ground|
|Maple Tree||no, collected by completely cutting down a tree (Maple Seeds)||2||120||Approx. 1K wood per tree||any soil based ground|
|Pine Tree||no, collected by completely cutting down a tree (Pine Seeds)||2||120||Approx. 1K wood per tree||any soil based ground|
Crops[edit | edit source]
- Blueberries will give minimal benefits to Fullness and are used mainly for the Blueberry Pie recipe. They are easily found growing in the snow Biome as an early game food item. They can also be picked up and turned into seeds for farming later. Note: Most of the berries you find growing wild in the snow biome and the pine forests are not blueberries, they are Snowberries and have little nutritional value. If you eat too many of them in fact, you get sick.
- An Ear of Corn can be cooked into a Corn on the Cob and is a very useful early game food as well. It can also be used to make Corn Meal as well as being an ingredient for Meat and Vegetable Stews. Corn Meal in turn is used to cook
- Potato can be better used to make stew, but can be eaten raw or grilled using a Cooking Grill to produce a Baked Potato.
- Coffee Beans can be used to brew Coffee, which in turn, when consumed, will give the players' character the positive effect Caffeine Buzz.
- Cotton Plant can be used to craft Cloth Fragment or Cotton Seed.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Some dirt looks tilled, but actually is not. This may result in some plants uprooting themselves out of tilled dirt (may be a bug).
- Plants require sunlight to grow, thus artificial light will not permit growth underground. A player can get around this by building secure skylights directly above their grow areas when farming underground.
- Note: Full glass blocks do not let light through. Panes of glass and Bulletproof Glass may, if you do not dig very deep as they have a level of opacity. Metal bars allow light though. Mushrooms are the exception, which will grow underground without light.
- As of Alpha 9, water is no longer required for farming.
- Plant properties can be changed in the Blocks.xml file.
Video Tutorial[edit | edit source]
The video guides you through how to farm trees and crops, the effect of tilling and fertilizing soil, and basics of underground farming and light. It also touches on the different crops and what they are used for.
Video Tutorial (Alpha 13)[edit | edit source]
The video below demonstrates how to farm all of the different crops found in 7 days to die as of Alpha 13, with the exception of trees, since they can be planted anywhere dirt is found.