Secure Storage Chest
|Secure Storage Chest|
"A lockable chest press [sic] & hold the Activate key to lock it or set a combination."
|Breaks into||Wood Debris|
|Used to place|
|Crafting Skill Group||[] [[Category:]]|
|Action Skill Group|| [] [[Category:]]
|Smell on Belt|
|Smell strength on Belt|
|Smell in Bag|
|Smell strength in Bag|
|Durability||500 (per stage)|
|Durability (Base Quality)|
|Durability (Max Quality)|
|Heat Map Strength|
|Heat Map Time|
|Heat Map Frequency|
|Max Stack|| 500
|Explosive Radius (Entity)|
|Entity Damage (Base Quality)|
|Entity Damage (Max Quality)|
|Explosive Radius (Block)|
|Block Damage (Base Quality)|
|Block Damage (Max Quality)|
|Range (Base Quality)|
|Range (Max Quality)|
|Dismemberment Chance (Base)|
|Dismemberment Chance (Max)|
|Buff Chance (%)|
|Concussive (%)||-style="display: none;"||Puncture (%)|
|Radiation (%)||-style="display: none;"||Fire (%)|
|Effect on Fullness|
|Effect on Hydration|
|Effect on Health|
|Effect on Stamina|
|Effect on Wellness|
|Effect on Gassiness|
|Used to craft|
|Used Gun Parts||
|Used to upgrade|
|Used to cook|
|Used to forge|
|Forge Weight (oz)|
|Burn Time|| 1:12
|Time to grow|
|Used to grow||
|Updated||Alpha 13.5, Alpha 14|
Description[edit | edit source]
A Secure Storage Chest is a craftable item. These are useful to place near Sleeping Bags to store valuable loot. There are other types of chests scattered around the map which look the same but cannot be crafted. These are called Wooden Chests.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Required items[edit | edit source]
To craft a Secure Storage Chest, Either click on the ingredients in your inventory and select “Recipes” then Secure Storage Chest and “Craft”, or search for Secure Storage Chest in your crafting window search bar.
Chest options / Locking[edit | edit source]
A Secure Storage Chest can be opened by pressing the Use button (default key is "E"). If you press and hold the Use button, three options appear:
- Change Password: Allows you to change the number combination on the Secure Storage Chest, so that only people who know the code can open it. A chest can be locked without a combination, but only the player who placed the Secure Storage Chest can then open it.
- Open Chest: Opens the Secure Storage Chest and gives access to its contents.
- Lock/Unlock chest: Locks or unlocks the Secure Storage Chest. If no combination has been set, a locked Secure Storage Chest can only be opened by the player who placed it. Otherwise, only people who know the combination can open it.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- One way to organize your chests is to create a Wooden Sign label
- A locked chest is not very secure. A few hits with a Fireaxe breaks the lock and allows it to be opened by anyone.
- When a chest is destroyed, it will drop all of the chest inventory on the ground and give you a chance to pick it up. Keep in mind that dropped items disappear after a certain amount of time.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- A Zombie currently does not register that there is a Secure Storage Chest in front of them. Making the Secure Storage Chest, when used as a wall, a completely zombie proof way to defend yourself. This can be considered abusing the Game mechanics though, if it was not intended to be a bug.
- Trying to put items into the chest when it is full will destroy the items. (as for Version 15 and beyond, zombies will now destroy your Storage Chests, if you are not near the zombie if will automatically go after the chests.).
- Occasionally when saving or dying far away from your local map, any or all of your Secure Storage Chest's can be "Auto-Locked" without your knowledge or interaction. This causes them to show as "Locked" and they will not allow any interaction with them. They will not open, Pressing or holding down the (Δ) or (Y) buttons just causes it to make repeated clicking sounds instead of letting you unlock them, or enter a password. Trying to destroy the lock on these chests with a Iron Fireaxe or Steel Fireaxe nearly always results in destroying the chest- with all your items! The "crouching" technique of opening non-responsive items doesn't work either. It can occur in BOTH SP & MP, Navezgane & Randomly Generated World. This problem has existed since at least ver7.10 on both PS4 & XB1- and before Jun 23, 2014 @ 1:37pm on STEAM's 7D2D page; it still exists in the most recent patch- (P6.1 ver1.0.9 & 220.127.116.11). I am currently unaware if this is related to the game sometimes having issues re-loading chunks of map data when you have left & returned to an area, or if it might be related to the corrupt MD5 Hash Checksum issue.
- Possible workaround is using other containers without locking mechanisms.
- Sometimes when a chest is destroyed, it leaves behind an indestructable, invisible, texture ghost- that will block access to interaction, destruction of other objects near it. Sometimes reloading the save or MP server eliminates the "ghost chest"
- Also beware of Land Claims blocks- as they can change your chests to un-open-able, indestructable blocks.
- All of the above bugs/glitches occur in all ports of the game, across all platforms & consoles.
- There are times that when you Shift-Click an object in your inventory (attempting to auto move it to the chest) the entire batch of objects you shift click will be deleted instead. Note: This bug affects the PC versions ONLY.