To start farming, the player will need a Gardening Hoe, and some Seeds to plant. Right click on a dirt block with a Gardening Hoe so as to till the land. It is then possible for the player to plant crops by right clicking in the center of the tilled land while holding the correct Seeds. If done correctly a small green seedling will appear on the tilled soil. Seeds can be obtained by simply placing the relevant vegetable into the center of the crafting table or by chopping down trees. The exception to this are Coffee Beans which can be planted as is.
- Blueberries will give minimal benefits to Hydration and Fullness and are used mainly for the Blueberry Pie recipe. However, both foods have minimal benefits, but they are a cheap early-game consumables.
- An Ear of Corn is extremely common and very useful - they are most commonly eaten raw and can be used to make Corn Meal which in turn is used to cook Blueberry Pie, Corn Bread or Grain Alcohol, with Corn Bread being a decent food item. An Ear of Corn can also be used to make the very filling Venison Stew.
- Potato can be better used to make stew, but can be eaten raw. It cannot be found as a crop, but can be found as a slightly rare loot item in kitchen containers. It restores the most Fullness (six) when eaten if compared to the other two crops.
- Coffee Beans can be used to brew Coffee which in turn, when consumed, will give the players character the positive effect Caffiene Buzz.
- Cotton Plant can be used to craft Cloth Fragment or Cotton Seed.
- Some dirt looks to be tilled, but actually are not. This may result in some plants uprooting itself out of tilled dirt (may be a bug).
- Plants require sunlight to grow - torchlight will not permit growth underground. You can get around this by building secure skylights directly above your growth areas when growing underground. However, this means that plants will not grow at all during night.
- As of Alpha 9, water is no longer required for farming.